Found the problem...

I hadn't noticed that apparently a MaterialID of 0 is not permitted
(and not noticed you used 1 in your screenshot.) I was under the
impression that 0 = first, but apparently 0 is not a good MaterialID
to set and the first = 1. Everything works fine now.

In retrospect I should've paid extra attention to the integer of 1 in
your screenshot and the sample tree screenshot from the "Cloning and
Copying Topology in ICE" docs page. It even says: "The value 0 is for
polygons that use the object's material." but it's not in bold or
anything. That's a pretty important point imho.

Sorry for the noise.
Cheers,

   -- Alan