From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Florian Eberle
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 12:38
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: [Rigging] Robot IK Legs

hello people

banging my had about a rigging setup here:
i have a rather stiff robot that needs to be rigged and i'm struggling with
the IK-setup for the legs.
the problem is the structure of the robots hips. it's very restricted in
that it only has two hinge joints.
one that allows the leg to rotate front/back and the other rotates out/in,
rotation along the leg is not possible.
the two hinges are not in the same place (obviously) so i have different
rotation points. and to complicate things even more:
the knee does not lie on the legs 'plane' but is offset a good amount.

after some very frustrating tries i'm reasonably sure that it's just not
possible to rig with the built in two bone IK.
can someone prove me wrong here (or at least tell me i'm right)?

i'd appreciate any hints, tips, trick and references

thanks

--
Flo Eberle
Lead Modeling Artist/