I do it all the time.

I'm not sure I'd call what you're experiencing a bug. It depends if they
ALL have local properties or not. If you don't make a Display property or
localize the one inherited from the sceneroot, the multi-select fails,
usually showing you the inherited one only.

The trick is to select what you want, then go to Get->Property->Display
then change them in the multiselect ppg that pops up. (You can even do it
again without fear as XSI doesn't permit more than one Display property to
exist per object. If one exists it gets reset when you try to make it
again.)

Maybe it would be nice if XSI asked to localize all of them when some are
inherited and some are local.

   -- Alan