The situation Kamen brought up is a bit scary since it sounds like it would
be a bit tricky to track down, so I'll try something else.

The printf trick you mentioned is working, but for whatever reason, it's
eating all my tab characters so it's breaking some formatting.  Not a huge
problem, but kind of annoying.  The fact that it doesn't work in Debug is a
bit of a pain too but not the end of the world.

The timer event seems like the way to go, especially if we want to at least
leave the door open for linux compatibility.

Thanks guys!