aah... too bad it was never exposed to the SDK so it could earn its name ;)

while i have you, how is the GAP/XSI Brush Tool querying normals for brush
orientation? i am doing something like this, excuse the assumption about
getting a single node normal...

m_pBuffer = in_ctxt.GetPickBuffer(x, y, 1, 1, siPolygonFilter, m_targets,
siShaded);
CRef l_obj = m_pBuffer.GetObjectAtPosition(x, y);
m_hit = l_obj.IsValid();
if (m_hit)
{
    CStringArray families;
    families.Add(siMeshFamily);
    in_ctxt.Snap(x, y, 1, siSnapFace, families, m_targets, m_pos);
    LONG l_compIdx = m_pBuffer.GetComponentIndexAtPosition(x, y);
    X3DObject l_xObj(l_obj);
    PolygonMesh l_polymesh = l_xObj.GetActivePrimitive().GetGeometry();
    PolygonFace face = l_polymesh.GetPolygons().GetItem(l_compIdx);
    PolygonNode node(face.GetNodes().GetItem(0));
    bool validN;
    m_normal = node.GetNormal(validN);
    m_normal *=
l_xObj.GetKinematics().GetGlobal().GetTransform().GetRotationMatrix3();
    m_normal.NormalizeInPlace();
}

and also in the above code is Snap() fast enough to use for my collision
test to place my brush position on?

steven