We did it.
We built our own setup to launch nodes over there and send them scenes and textures to render and write back the images to our file server.
It's good, but expensive. You don't send any type of jobs either.
We did it for linux and Arnold only. We use it for emergency only, and it's been a while since we had to use it. We almost had to use it recently, but then we realized the scene used a custom shader that wasn't available on linux so we had to cancel the idea.

It required a considerable amount of time to setup. Many problems came up. We were glad we had our own render farm management software since we could add some custom code to it to account for those machines.

All in all, it's expensive (compared to owning your machines) and complicated to setup. But it can save your ass... I mean render your ass, as long as it's compressed. :)