I'm pretty sure that's the way it's supposed to work, although the
documentation makes it sounds as though the Pass token would get the
parent pass of the object.  In practice, the file object doesn't know
where it is in the scene hierarchy; the tokens  resolves global
variables, which in this case happen to be set while rendering.