Apologies, hit send a little early there....

for sample in samples.SubComponent.ComponentCollection:
log(uvs.FindIndices([sample.Index]))
                log (sample.Index)
                log(elements.FindIndex(sample.Index)

The 'elements' clusterElementCollection seems to contain the indices to the
samples, not the mapping to the geometry, which goes against what is syas
in the docs:

"The ClusterElementCollection returned by
Cluster.Elements<http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/softimage2013/en_us/sdkguide/si_om/Cluster.Elements.html>
 (and
Envelope.Elements<http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/softimage2013/en_us/sdkguide/si_om/Envelope.Elements.html>)
provides the mapping between an index of a component in a cluster with the
index of the component on the
Geometry<http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/softimage2013/en_us/sdkguide/si_om/Geometry.html>.
For example index 10 on a polygon Cluster might refer to Polygon 45 on the
geometry, in which case ClusterElementCollection.Item(10) has the value 45.
This data is read-only."

This is not what I get at all, for a start the cluster.Elements.Count
returns approximatly 80k, which makes no sense as a geometry index since
there are only about 20k points. Clearly this is an array of the sample
indices (4 per vert). Soooooooo, how do I get the point / facet / polygon
ID from a sample?

Any help much appreciated, this is driving me nuts.

Cheers,

Jules