Hey Matt
This one bit me and Darren a couple of years ago. 2010 or 2009 maybe.
We couldn't figure out a perfect fix for this, but we also noticed that the problem was more likely to occur on reloading a scene rather than starting softimage clean. At the time I was convinced that it was a linux exclusive problem, but I've seen it in win7 a few times over the years.
The neck in the xsi rig also does this from time to time.
Nowadays I'll just recreate the spine and head of an xsi character if I'm forced to use that rig. Sorry I can't give you a fix, but at least you know you're not alone.. All people from South Africa gets this problem ;)