I can't speak from personal experience with Softimage running from a
network, but one thing to keep in mind is that Linux (specifically NFS)
does a much better job than Windows (specifically CIFS/SMB) of caching
files and not always pounding the network over and over again for the same
stuff.

I like the rsync idea a lot.  Anytime files are being read multiple times,
and rarely written is a good place to deploy that sort of strategy.  On
Centos 6, there's a thing called FS-Cache that does persistent caching of
network files.  At the last place I worked, we talked about it briefly, in
the context of application deployment, but it was still too early for
Centos 6.  And now I'm back on Windows :(

- Andy