The guys at NothingReal told us at the time that Shake UI look was
influenced by Softimage DS and Sumatra's look, and it's quite obvious.
Mirai was also influenced.

I don't think the XSI UI looks dated, but I do think that it's better
to try innovate by creating new UI rather than replicating the
Softimage one without questioning it.  The world cannot get to better
things if we just hang on to things we're comfortable with.

The Softimage UI look and widgets is not something that was written on
tablets coming from the heavens. It's a series of compromise and just
stopped at one point because people get too crazy and angry when you
try to tweak UI graphics. Everyone just want to kill you and so at one
point you can't change anything.  The rounded edge and smooth gray is
gorgeous; the black drop downs and edit box don't make much sense IMHO
and add visual noise..  You just kind of get used to it and don't see
it.  Putting a menu vertically at the left of the screen in forms of
buttons IMHO is just ridiculous, as is having to crop labels just to
make it fit in those hard coded button size.  That was just 1998
hanging on to Softimage|3D nostalgia which had no top level menu at
all.