Thanks guys.  I have gone another way.  I'm dicing my geo and then
filtering the points to closest points in a pointcloud generated from
a sample set.  I can then adjust the size of the polys by the density
of the point distribution in the pointcloud.

It adds a few layers to the workflow, but it works and is quite flexible.

Cheers,

DAN