there is a missing feature in the SDK to make a toolbar button behave like
Autokey and others that work.  it's a dumb little thing that I have no clue
why it wasn't exposed.  Internally, all commands can have a "selected"
state. this is reflected by having the menues checked or their buttons
pushed automatically.  This selected state also allows command to detect
when the keyboard shortcut is pushed and released, like the all the tool
related commands do.