>> It says in the documentation that Softimage only works with Python 2.5
in linux, is this factual?
Yes, yes it is.

>> We use 2.65 here, and are nervous as to whether our tools will continue
to work in linux
You'll probably be fine. There's not THAT many changes between 2.5 and 2.6,
frankly.

>> can we use alternative versions of python with softimage in linux?
Nope! You can only use Softimage's, which is heavily tied with the
ActiveScripting technology and Mainwin's grubby win32com hooks.

It's not unimaginable that a future version of XSI may come with a newer
build of Python. Only time will tell.