In intro physics, the concept of vectors are always taught using position
since the x,y,z coordinate space results in arrows that show you the
relative values in a format that is intuitive. Thus it would follow, for
position, velocity, acceleration, vector math is more readily grasped,
since it's easier to conceptualize.

But then they move into rotations and lose most of the class, because they
forgot to mention that vectors aren't *always* representing something you
can easily visualize in a one-to-one fashion.

In CG, we have another example of vectors we use all the time but where the
values aren't easily associated with a spatial position: RGB colors. Three
values contained in a single vector (4 for RGBA), but unless you've got a
nice color volume that shows you what the values mean, the association
between an arrow floating in space and a resulting color is rather
disconnected.

Meanwhile, you could represent that color using other vectors:
hue/brightness/saturation, CMYK, or hue/saturation/value, etc. Notice how
CMYK has 4-dimensions, while the others have 3? Yet they all ultimately
generate a color output. Also notice how changing the values of one of the
dimensions in RGB color interpolates the resulting color differently from
changing one of the values in HSV, yet both can result in the same range of
colors?

And so it goes with rotations. Different heuristics to represent the same
result. Euler uses 3-dimensions, whereas angle/axis and quaternion use 4.
Each one results in a different interpolation from changing one of the
values, and each one is useful in different circumstances. Yet none of them
(save maybe angle/axis) is easily visualized with an arrow in space.

-Bradley