Hi Joey I won’t comment too much about frame-rates, other than saying I’m lucky
we have 24p / 25p / 50i in Europe – North American frame rates are such a mess.

For resolution, 1920by1080 (=full HD) is really the defacto standard. It is
quite effective as a universal master format, covering pretty much anything
broadcast,  as well as 35mm film and BlueRay transfer.
If you don’t need 2k or up, you can’t go wrong with 1920x1080 – and it has
beautiful square pixels.
I haven’t done standard definition in a decade now – but at the time, I always
preferred rendering/compositing at 768x576 square pixels PAL, and converting to
720x576 non square pixels after finishing.

Yes, at first full HD can be quite expensive for rendering compared to standard
definition at ~6 times the amount of pixels – but you can compensate some in
the sampling settings:
Standard definition, with non square pixels and interlacing is quite
problematic for small details, and requires decent sampling – eg. in mental ray
terms min1 max3 was standard for me – and sometimes 2 / 3 or double res
rendering.

I find that full HD / progressive frames alleviated the sampling requirements –
and for me standard sampling is now min 0 max 2 contrast 0.05 mitchell 4 or
gauss 3 – the need for double res never occurred for me (in software
rendering), very occasionally 1.5 times the res. On the opposite, I find that
sometimes you can get away with lower sampling as well: –1 / 2 / 0.075 for
example – something that would look quite bad on SD / interlaced.

This, together with inevitable progress in hardware, makes that I don’t find
full HD rendering today any slower than rendering SD was in the past. IMO,
longer rendertimes today come from higher expectations put on content.

Your mileage may vary – and 1280x720 (=HD ready) may be adequate – it is a big
improvement over SD – but personally, I would find it a shame not to go full HD
anno 2013.

For playback – depends on the situation.
When doing CGI, I’m used to playing less than a minute at a time - from a local
non raid disk or from a server – playback software like RV or Framecycler
handles this very well, and flipbook is no slouch either.
For more critical situations, such as monitored playback, and editing with a
client - get a turnkey NLE station, with decicated graphics, video I/O and raid
array and most importantly software that offers guaranteed performance at full
HD (oh how I liked flame and DSHD way back when... )

If you put consumer software on a regular PC, don’t expect the performance of a
high end NLE station – even if things have certainly come a long way.

Just my 2 cent and random thoughts.