Hi guys,

there´s a lot to be desired about mental ray´s implementation
and user friendliness. I don´t even want to start about having
at least an in depth documentation including practical examples.

Nevertheless, there´s yet another node that may come in handy but
has probably slipped your radar:

mip_fgshooter

It is supposed to be used to add finalgather calculations from
additional cameras to your current frame´s fgmap or your *.fgmap
in general.

I can´t express how frustrated I am about the implementation in Softimage.

If you ever had hoped to having to figure out how to enter 4x4 matrixes
and get the thing working yourself, brace for a lot of frustration.

Or use this implementation. Thank you Denis Belyatsky!

http://maxfoxlab.com/mx_fgshooter.html

Hats off.

If you push his implementation hard, you´ll notice the camera_shooter_cams
will always have to point to the world origin to give realiable values for
their resulting 4x4 matrixes entered into the render cam´s mip_fgshooter item
list.

Sofar, I haven´t been able to verify if that is a limitation of using their
[cameraname].kineGlobal as the source for the 4x4 matrix or if that is due
to the way the mip_fgshooter node interprets coordinates?

In any case, Denis plugin is a great helper in actually making flickerfree FG
available to the average user who may sure not be able to derive and properly
set
a 4x4 matrix himself.

In terms of useability, I would have expected mip_fg_shooter to have a list
entry field
where you pick your cameras and that´s it. Like Lightlinking for selective
light,
even SRT coordinates would have been better but transform matrixes, really?

That´s defeating the whole point of keeping it simple unless one could drag and
drop
a camera into the Rendertree and at least connect it directly there. Which you
can´t...

Cheers,

tim