here is a plugin I wrote that you can use. It's all in python so there
should not be any problems with it. You'll find it under
File->Export->Export STL. Exporting through the menu allows only for binary
STLs but the command itself has a switch to export in ascii format too.

hope this helps

cheers
vladimir

--