Hey Vincent,
multithreading is different of multiprocessing...
short long story, multithreading is about running many threads in the same
memory space (so shared memory and so use of patterns such as mutex,
semaphore,...)
while multiprocessing is about running different external processes (all
having their own memory space)...
It becomes tedious when you want to share data then across those different
processes as they don't share a common memory space, Python designers
achieve this by simply pickling the datas you want to share
(and so you have to be sure they are pickable) and saving them somewhere in
memory or on disk (where processes known where to look for).
multiprocessing is a powerful concept equivalent in theory to pipes or even
co-routines.
As Matt said, the sdk is not thread-safe, so forgetting about
multithreading is a good rule to follow, while I wouldnt even think about
multiprocessing to access scene graph components.
To boost your operator, review and be sure your code is optimized (thats
just all what it takes 90% of the cases) !  if this is still too slow, move
to Cpp...
--jon