At work I use a topology hash which I base off a string composed of either
boundingbox and component counts, or if there's collisions from similar
objects, the whole position array in local space.

I use SHA1 for the hashing as it's a teensy bit faster to compute than MD5,
but both of those have known to have had collision flaws, so ideally one
should use something fancier.

As long as the topo stays the same, it makes it super easy to track renamed
meshes or whatever.