On 21 June 2013 18:33, Raffaele Fragapane <raffsxsil...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> If anything my only gripe with fabric right now is that they keep
> referring to TDs as the slow children of RnD, as if being a TD means you
> can cobble together a script as long as you can chain run it to debug, but
> God forbid you'd be able to run a compiler :p

There's a big difference between a trained software engineer that can write
multithreaded C++ and the standard TD (that I see most consistently across
studios) that can write a bit of C++ but is most comfortable with
Python/MEL etc. Finding a domain expert in software engineering that's also
a domain expert in VFX is quite challenging - most TDs do not fit this
description. What we see is a lot of people that know exactly what they
want to achieve, but don't have the time, inclination or skillset to write
it in C++. That might not fit your definition of a TD, but outside of large
studios I don't meet many TDs that are C++ programmers - they self-identify
as such.

You're correct in saying that the actual value of KL is in the various
multi-threading paradigms (and the ease of access to them). However, having
spent the first 18 months of our existence trying to market a language and
a multithreading engine, we realised that nobody cares :) Instead we
simplified the technical message to "KL is a high-level language like
Python, these are normally slow but KL is as fast as highly optimized C++.
This means people that are comfortable with high-level languages can now
write high performance code".

In reality, nobody cares about that much either. What people want to know
is "so what can I do that I couldn't do before?". So it might end up being
a bit simplistic or patronizing to people that understand the technology,
but the intent is to try and make it easy to understand why what we're
doing is valuable. Marketing a platform to everyone is difficult - if we
make it so technical people are satisfied from the outset, then we lose
everyone else. Now we're showing actual solutions, it becomes more
interesting to understand 'how?' - so we might have to adapt a bit. You'll
be pleased to know we're working with a PR agency who want to rewrite all
of our copy :)

The last thing I'll say is that the dynamic compilation is as important as
the multi-threading - speed of development, ease of deployment, portability
of code and outright performance. We used to message heavily around this
and it didn't get us very far.