Thanks for responding Chris.

Well, for most of the old school ones (apps) it'd be an impossible amount
of work to make it truly pervasive, but to be honest given the domain of
cheap-shot parallelism in apps like Soft or Maya just making thread safe
(or offering mechanisms to find thread safe implementation boundaries) a
small portion of some accessors and various update functions would be a
huge leap forward. Documentation too.

It's not a huge deal for the CUDA side of work since most of the time I one
works in the interval between host2device copy and device2host copyback,
the boundaries tend to be forced anyway, but the moment you don't have CUDA
and Titan speed memory in the picture (anything that needs to run on a farm
in example :) ), copying entire chunks of the geo data is rather wasteful,
not to mention slow, and the lack of native facilities for pooling of any
kind makes it hard to scale the threading meaningfully.

Maya doesn't exactly do well across the board in those regards, but at
least with openMP, and this is a few years ago now, they added a mainthread
safe way to maintain a pool, and then slowly inched from there to sucking a
fair bit less . In Soft I still haven't quite found a way to not have a
crippling overhead.
Even a simple addition ala openMP, just to have a live pool, a couple lock
options, and basic wake-from-lazy to use raw references to geo would go a
very long way.

It'd be nice if you guys would consider at least that much in the roadmap,
even if only as a "use at your own risk" and basic implementation.

ICE is great and all, but it's not ALWAYS a viable option, and it tends to
cut off a good chunk of libraries and facilities that simply don't play
well in context.
Supporting compilers younger than a decade (and this holds true for Maya
too) would also be nice :)

--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it
and let them flee like the dogs they are!