Stephen, this plugin really didn't work for me. It way overdid some kind of
smearing, spiraling algorithm. Looks a lot worse than the original. I wonder
what he's thinking, or what went wrong here... Any ideas?

Thanks for the link, however. I was really stoked when I thought it was going
to solve this problem. Maybe something in Softimage mapping is trying to solve
this and doesn't quite do it, so this plugin overcompensates?

I still think implicit mapping would help, as the help files indicate, if I
could get any image to show up on the sphere.

Thanks again,
Nancy