It's not quite as simple as linking dynamically vs statically. The fact
soft is still tied to a GCC "fixed" by mainwin (or was last I checked)
isn't exactly helping matters either. That said shell requirements are a
non issue honestly, the issues are others and on a completely different
scale.
It's not all roses for some other software either, but yeah soft tends to
be the pickier of the lot