I know where you are coming from :-) Nice reel btw, I recognized some of the ads having aired in Austria too.

Hey guys,

Been lurking and sometimes chiming into conversations on this list for
the past couple of years.
Never actually showed anything of what i do. So finally, after
realising this list might not be
around for long, decided to go ahead and share what i've been up to
for the past years.
Not really looking for work (even though i'm always open to new opportunities).
Simply wanted to get an honest opinion from you guys.

Here it is: https://vimeo.com/57945815

On the question of what i did in the shots...well, here's the funny
part...mostly everything.
I usually work as a one man army, which doesn't make me very
employable, but it's been doing me good
on the eastern european market (which is where i've been working so
far). Plus, i love being able to touch
a little bit of everything. I never liked painting myself into a
corner. Unfortunately i guess the term jack of all trades - master of
none is sadly true.
So i handle most of everything (shooting supervision, previz,
matchmove, modeling, texturing, rigging, animation, lookdev, shading,
lighting, rendering,
simulations, scripting, comp, matte painting and even grading) -
sounds overkill, but it's a small market here, and the requirements
are not as steep.
I work as a gun for hire, most of the time straight with the
production house and i've had to "incorporate" to be able to pitch
against "studios" around here and get other jobs besides
the usual spinning toothbrush and blue detergent balls cleaning the
sheets (no one trusts a freelancer with a heavier project). Funny
thing is, this can also lead to complications,
like having to go to court when the production house fails to pay the
royalties on a project and then declares bankruptcy - eastern europe i
guess (yeah, it just happened to me).
Usually i will also go on location to the production house and use
their hardware. Cuts my costs, and makes them feel more secure having
direct "control" over the project.
And by then i will have done enough to gain their trust anyway.

On the tech side, it's about 50% comp, 50% 3d, with most of the stuff
rendered with vray, and some older stuff with mray.
The comp is all nuke, with 3d that's probably evenly split between xsi
and maya (depending on the project, the production house, sharing
assets or not, etc).
As a sidenote, i put the valve logo on the insect shots to make sure i
give credit where it's due. That is an antlion from halflife 2, and
i've used it with permission
back in 2004 to do a short film with it, using the source engine. So
yeah, those sequences are just comped opengl renders.
So is the cube/particle guy that's in there also from a personal short
film (which is using mocap). I love realtime stuff. Wish i could use
it more in commercial projects.

PS. It's funny how i've probably met 5 of you in person, but it feels
like i've known everyone for a long time.
That's what mailing lists do i guess.

Cheers and really looking forward to your input,
-Octav

               Stefan Kubicek
           keyvis digital imagery
          Alfred Feierfeilstraße 3
       A-2380 Perchtoldsdorf bei Wien
         Phone:    +43/699/12614231
      www.keyvis.at  ste...@keyvis.at
--  This email and its attachments are   --
--confidential and for the recipient only--