Hi everyone - now we're back from Siggraph and recovered, we've started
working on Spliced Softimage. Should have a first prototype next week.

https://twitter.com/FabricPaul/status/362975245562437632/photo/1

The Hybride guys have been doing some awesome stuff with FE already, so I
can't wait to get this into their hands soon :) Eric might stop stalking
the Montreal employees as well, which would be nice.

A description of Spliced Softimage:
Creation:Splice will be integrated into Softimage as a new class of custom
operators. Each operator can be setup using the SpliceEditor IDE, defining
ports, adding removing them etc, very much like the Scripted Operator
Editor. The IDE will also contain a KL Source Code editor as well as
functionality for dynamically compiling the code etc. Operators defined
with the SpliceEditor will become completely portable between all support
host applications, such as Maya, Softimage and Nuke, for example.

We are not integrating KL into ICE, for a range of reasons. Splice is
targeting areas where ICE doesn't work so well, i.e. Fast procedural
geometry, kinematics, simulated rigs, custom OpenGL drawing etc Splice
solves the portability issues of moving tools between applications, and as
such we try to take a consistent approach within applications.

This also means I don't get to make up such compelling slogans as "Spliced
ICE baby", which is frankly disappointing.

If you want to understand more about Splice, please visit the webpage:
http://fabricengine.com/creation/splice/

Cheers,

Paul