I'm no expert on polygonal data structure, so the following might be naive: Why
not implement both or all three types? There are only a small hand full of
methods required to query and massage the poly data. These methods could be
aware of the actual data structure and choose the right code path respectively
to modify the data, only differing in performance and memory consumption,
effectively abstracting the actual specialization away from the user/programmer.
Meshes could be created with the least memory hungry data structure by default,
but could be converted or switched to a different structure if needed manually,
or even automatically (e.g. for time-consuming en-mass topology editing) for
better speed at the cost of higher memory consumption. Am I too optimistic?

Hey Philip,

the internal mesh representation is current WIP and will change
dramatically with the next
release. We have been experimenting with winged-edge as well as
half-edge. For data compression
we will hopefully end up with a structure which doesn't hold any
neighboring information until
requested.

Once you get access to splice you can have a look at the full source of
the SpliceMesh.kl

-H