Your right, for this I would be looking to create something like this in ICE. I had a look at Guillaume's plug-in and it works great for what I would like to achieve but my main aim here is to learn . In fact for the first step I would settle for making just a 2D convex hull like on Alok's blog.

Cheers,

Tim

p.s After playing around with the Guillaume's convex hull topo compound I must say it's pretty awesome!