I remember reading the Shilov books at the bookstore for evaluation.  I found
the terminology a little technically heavy making it a challenging read as I
didn't have the technical background at the time.   Because of the lack of
illustrations you really must have it all contained in your head as you
progress through the book or else you can get lost.  I'd be more inclined to
check that book out now vs. when first getting exposed to the subject.

My first linear algebra textbook was "linear algebra with applications", by
Otto Bretscher (3rd edition).  It started OK, but after the first few chapters
it ran afoul of any sense or structure.  The exercises and problems were
ridiculously hard and abstract in comparison to the material presented in the
chapter.  It was fun to be challenged mentally, but this book went too far as
it felt like a mystery novel where the key piece of evidence wasn't introduced
until the end after the case was solved.  Even the teacher dumped the book half
way through the semester.  Out of frustration I bought Linear algebra by Howard
Anton (7th edition) because he authored the school's calculus books and at
least made some sense, but his linear algebra book was all number crunching and
lacked theory.  Disappointed again I tried Kohlman-Hill because it had
advertised material for computer science majors, but it turned out to be fluff.
 There were also a few others in the mix I can no longer remember.

I did well in school, but I didn't have much fun with linear algebra mostly
because there was a void between theory and practice.  Theory was just that,
and the books covering the practice often used terms and techniques not found
in the theory books, or required significant computer science background to
make use.  That made it difficult to jump in.  When I picked up the Gerald
Farin book at Siggraph 2006, I felt like I found the bridge to connect the two
worlds.  The examples aren't as deep as a traditional textbook, but are very
intuitive and directly applicable to 2D and 3D graphics.  The main benefit of
the book is it explains concepts of linear algebra in the context of computer
graphics in a way that doesn't require a computer science background.  My only
complaint is the book can be a little thin in some areas covering specific use
cases and not mention important edge cases to look out for.  Then again I have
the 1st edition of the book, perhaps the 3rd edition fills those holes.

Matt