Anyone doing any regular particle work in Softimage should spend some time
(or money) on a command-line caching system. It gets rid of all custom
attribute related issues and gives you unlimited processing licenses. Even
if you don't have a farm it's just simpler and faster to run sims in a dos
prompt.
The programming hooks are all available for it and it's a matter of about a
day of work to implement a batch version of the Cache Manager. If you
absolutely want to stay within Softimage, remember that the Cache Manager
is an addon, so fairly easy to customize.
The rest is just fine-tuning depending on your preferred workflow. Everyone
has different needs and methodology. I think the Cache Manager inside
Softimage is pretty decent for the average user. It's got a clear listing
of all the caches in your scene (although I'm not always clear on which
objects they're assigned to). It uses tokens which help keeping things
somewhat generic. Also the Cachelist feature is very nice and underrated
but quite limited on a customization level. I ended-up replacing it
completely but it's still enjoyable out of the box. You don't find that
level of polishing in other softwares.
When I think about all the great development made on ICE since its
inception that makes it so easy and fun to work with, no wonder artists are
so emotive about its future.

...that said someone really needs to fix that goddamn custom attribute bug.
And the caching of locations while you're there!