They aren't broken, referencing references is a million miles away from a
trivial problem.

The key to it is order of execution, which is neigh impossible to guarantee
without responsabilizing users well beyond what your average seat warmer
can deal with from a technical stand point.

The way Soft deals with name spaces and hierarchies and referencing within
models when you have nested models you assume an order of operations that
is simply not guaranteed.

So it's perfectly possible, in example, that a model depending on its
father receives a namespace and before the parent does.
When you factor in deltas and cross dependencies the problem becomes even
worse.

It's simply an incredibly hard problem to solve generically in the context
of a pipeline (end user's) which the provider client (Soft) can't have any
notion of.

We and others spend untold amount of hours to develop tools and procedures
to allow cross model connections, and they are a brittle, nasty thing to
deal with, and it only works because we're extremely well serviced on the
asset dynamicism and management side of the pipe, and everything users do
that establishes those cross namespace connections is managed by wrappers
that also take care of establishing order of stashes and stacking within
the stash.

Offering the same thing arbitrarily in a DCC client would be exceedingly
hard, or would greatly restrict what you could do with those namespaces and
referencing.

This isn't to say ref models are perfect, but refs of refs is one of those
things people take for granted is just buggy when it's actually an
exceedingly hard problem to work out generically if you want the app to
remain friendly to all levels of technical competence.