Not exactly your need here, but make sure you're fully aware of GATOR. Transferring of skinning, maps, shapes is very powerful in Softimage.

On 9/24/2013 9:41 AM, Sergio Mucino wrote:
I've got a simple question regarding skinning/binding in Softimage.
A thing that I require to do quite often is to copy the weights from one vertex on the mesh, and paste them on multiple vertices on a different mesh. Assuming both meshes already have the appropriate clusters, weightmaps, and deformers assigned, I'm wondering how to achieve this. I looked for a "Weight Copy" tool in SI, and didn't find one, so I turned to Google. I was able to find a tool that supposedly does this (SA_SetPointWeights), but for some reason, It's not working for me. I select the 'source' mesh and launch the tool, where I can select it, but for some reason, it cannot find the Weight Map, even though it is there (I've attached a screen capture included below...)

If anyone is familiar with this tool, do you know what's up with it?
Otherwise, I'm open to any other suggestions around how to copy/paste vertex weights. I don't have much time to script it myself right now, and I haven given the GEAR tools a try yet because I need to ask IT to change my machine's environment to reference their scripts, but if that toolset has tools for this, I can push the "please get it done" button to be able to use them.
Thanks for any suggestions!

--
*Sergio Mucino*
Lead Rigger