Hey Tim,
I would use a expression.
open the exression editor-->Function-->Distance-->distance to camera
the result would be something like
ctr_dist_cam( null. )
null. would be the object name you're using to mesure the distance.
hope that helps
christian

On 26.09.2013 22:58, Tim Crowson wrote:
I'm trying to set up a camera rig that will let me use an item of some kind (null, curve...) to act as a kind of focal point that can be moved around the frame. Basically I want to have a control parented to the camera which I can move around the frame, and which can be used to create a vector between the camera and whatever surface is "behind" that focal control. I'd then get the distance between the camera and that point on the surface and pass that to my lens shader.

I'm really a noob when it comes to ICE in general, so I'm wondering how best to do this. I suck with vectors...
--
Signature

*Tim Crowson
*/Lead CG Artist/

*Magnetic Dreams, Inc.
*2525 Lebanon Pike, Building C. Nashville, TN 37214
*Ph*  615.885.6801 | *Fax*  615.889.4768 | www.magneticdreams.com
tim.crow...@magneticdreams.com

/Confidentiality Notice: This email, including attachments, is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient(s). If you have received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage mechanism. Magnetic Dreams, Inc cannot accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not expressly made on behalf of Magnetic Dreams, Inc or one of its agents./