further exploration looking for guaranteed repro , it seems applying my
compound directly after a merge curve (from a script because it cannot be
done in soft or ICE) causes the segmentation. but if I create an empty ICE
tree to the merged curve, freeze, then apply my compound then it works fine.

so the nsubcurves can only be manipulated if they are dirty?

also, just before the segmentation happens - I can tell it is going to
happen because the subcurves all report as 0 - if I do anything else then
it crashes.

but if I save and reload the scene just before then it fixes the problem
and all subcurves report correctly and no segmentation happens.

so I think for a workaround we can do some jiggle in the mergecurves script
to dirty up the curves.