Welcome to the list Jakob!

That looks promising, I've been playing with the very same idea for over two
years now but never had a production to actually use it on, hence no time to
develop it past the concept stage. Good luck sorting out the ramaining issues,
I'm looking forward to the first public version :-)

Stefan

Hi there!

May I introduce myself shortly. My name is Jakob Schindegger and I am a motion
graphics designer who likes to develope new looks and also likes to code (still
on a low level though)

I was always interested in NPR Rendering, especially silhouette edge drawing.
So I took on the challenge, working with ICE and programming a custom ICE Node.

I have developed an ICE Compound generating at first just particles along the
silhouette of an object, orienting along the outline and towards the camera.
As a next step I tried to generate as few splines as possible on the outline.
To be eventually able to smoothen these splines and also to generate some more
turbulized overlaying ones to simulate a hand drawn (with strokes) / animated
object.

As soon as I have cleaned up the compound and made it a bit more efficient I
will upload it.

Problems I still have:
-Performance
-Jumpiness in Animation (as every calculation is only frame based, I might have
to bring in a simulation level so the lines get more consistent over time
-Still too many gaps in the silhouette (I might have to bring the splines into
screen space and connect them there)

This is how far I got right now. The animation down below is in some cases
still very jumpy.

http://www.fakob.com/2013/silhouette-edge-drawing-ice-development/

It is a work in progress and maybe as I am not a real programmer, some things might have
been done not very efficiently, but I appreciate any comments you have. Even the ones
where you say "why did you do it like this, there is a button which does all that
already" :-)

Thanks
Jakob
--------------------------
jakob schindegger
perceptual activist since 1993
www.fakob.com
trondheim / norway / europe
+47 939 73 491

  Stefan Kubicek                   ste...@keyvis.at
           keyvis digital imagery
          Alfred Feierfeilstraße 3
       A-2380 Perchtoldsdorf bei Wien
        Phone:  +43 (0) 699 12614231
                 www.keyvis.at
--   This email and its attachments are    --
-- confidential and for the recipient only --