It's true that the content is not selling it and probably won't attract new
customers not already knowing the value of the product, but for some
reasons I would have think that already existing customers would bypass
that kind of terrible showcase and would trust in the quality of each new
implemented tool since the devs seems to be a serious bunch after all. But
I'm not part of the Houdini's community, so you know better.

That said, I can't remember where I've heard/read that from, and maybe it's
simply my imagination playing me tricks, but aren't those videos being made
by a small team of students hired to come up with a final project that
would showcase the new features? If so, that would explain the quality,
which is fine as soon as everyone knows the reason behind it, and I believe
it would be a great initiative because it would give them the chance to try
out the tools in a production environment, even though it won't be an usage
nearly as intensive as it would be with the big studios. But hey, it would
still be better than simply expecting the pros to beta test the features at
their work place and ask them to send feedbacks when they simply don't have
the time to play around because of their crazy deadlines, no?