I don't know about HBO marketing, but putting your
comments together, you should be pretty close :)
The movie indeed provides an incentive to get different toy -sets, that are
featured.
>From my own observation, it makes a huge difference for kids to see their
figure "alive".Thats why we create a little kick-off-myth, with
a world to immerse themselves in.
It's actually not a very new idea. If you take a closer look, animation
and toys are sort of siblings and have been marketed together for a long
time.
(Though for some reason i find especially us europeans not being so aware
of it.)
For the web version: One reason is,that people nowadays consume more media
on mobile devices.
On the visual side of the project we had 6 people, on the auditive side 3.