Hey Paul,

most of the time, if you just need the hdr for lighting and blurry reflections and you can be sure there won't be any crisp reflections (glass, crome) in the render, there is no need to over complicate things.
I use an 180° fisheye lens on a regular tripod with a standard 3 way head.
I do1 exposure set every 120°(every leg of the tripod) and skip the top and nadi shot for outdoors and just use the stamp brush in photoshop to clean out black or wrong spots. this gives you the correct lighting and something thats reflecting the correct colors. For this you don't even need a camera with a big sensor, just a camera that does proper bracketing. If you have reflective objects that need clear and crisp reflections thats NOT the way to go, then you need to do It properly and the hdr labs link is a good resource.

for stitching i would use ptgui, as most of the time It's just one click and finish. I think hugin ist free and almost the same, but not as comfortable as ptgui. At least when I was trying it about 2 years back.
hope that helps
Christian