>> Is it as simple as building low res stand-ins and offloading?

Pretty much... yeah.

Is it a solid, (mostly if not completely) non-deforming thing like a
vehicle? If that's the case, you may wanna consider making a null hierarchy
where each null contains a selection of meshes that "move as one".

For example, a regular solid car's rig might be: car body, left/right
front/back wheel rotation and left/right front/back wheel brakes, so 9
nulls. Animating those 9 nulls will be way lighter than dealing with
hundreds or thousands of parts deforming or individually constrained to
whatever, plus it's less data for the Delta property to keep track of. By
the way, I like to call these nulls "segment nulls".

If you're dealing with mentalray or Arnold, both have the standins concept
that works quite well, especially in Arnold. (Maybe XSI Vray does it too,
not sure.)

You'll want a standin per "segment" and if you name your standins the same
as your segment nulls in a separate resolution, then it's very easy to
animate a very light rig that is high-res compatible. Also makes it a piece
of cake to republish update geo and shading by simply reexporting the
standin files.

At work we had stupid mesh density in Pacific Rim's control pod "stilts"
and this *segmented workflow *of standin nulls constrained to a rig worked
out great. ;)