Guys, seriously, you should not believe all those rumours. Chances are pretty
good it's all just bullshit.

Being on the Softimage beta list I am under NDA and therefore cannot really say
anything, but what I can say is this:
I have been on the Softimage beta for years now. After the takeover things
obviously changed, but honestly, that is not really a surprise. Different
company, different goals, different philosophies and so on. Fact is that new
Softimage versions got released every year => developers are constantly working
on Softimage => these developers get paid => no company would pay developers to
work on something that will be killed in the near future.

Note that I am neither saying everything is great nor everything is bad. All I
am saying is that I believe it is *not* doomed.

Cheers,
Eric