From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Christian
Gotzinger
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:56 AM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: OT: Organizing files that belong together

Hi list,
We have a digital city model that's divided up into several hundred squares.
Our projects require us to make different versions of these squares for
planning purposes. So for any given square, we may have 4 or 5 different
versions.

The more projects we do, the more complicated it gets for us to keep track of
what belongs (and what fits) together. When we need to quickly prepare a file
that contains "City model with Project X + Project Y", we have two main
problems:

a) For squares with multiple versions we need to figure out which of these
versions are part of Project X and which are Project Y.
b) We need to figure out how squares may be combined. Let's say that the square
F003_C belongs to Project X, but square G003 is not part of Project X. We now
can't be sure which version(s) of G003 properly match(es) F003_C at the seam.
I'm unsure how common a problem this is and whether I explained it properly.
Does anybody have any pointers as to what may be a good way to tackle this?
Maybe some kind of specialized software?
Thank you

Christian