Hello!

Sorry for such a newbish question but I'm having a hard time isolating a
problem in some code.  Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't and I
can't find out how to fix it.  Basically I have some code running in a
python module that is outside of a typical Softimage Plugin.  I've tried to
getting a handle to the Softimage Application object 2 different ways:

from win32com.client import Dispatch
Application = Dispatch("XSI.Application").Application

and

from win32com.client import dynamic
Application = dynamic.Dispatch("XSI.Application").Application

The error I am getting the first time I run my code is:

#     metadata_dict[ 'workgroups_loaded' ] = str( "; ".join(
Application.Workgroups ) )
#   File "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage 2013
SP1\Application\python\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line
495, in __getattr__
#     raise pythoncom.com_error, details
# 2028 - pywintypes.com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0,
None, u'Invalid argument specified.', None, 0, -2147418113), None)

The second time I run the code that line works fine and I get an error at:

#     custom_params.append( customProp.AddParameter2("metadata",
c.siString, yaml_metadata) )
#   File "<COMObject <unknown>>", line 7, in AddParameter2
#   File "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage 2013
SP1\Application\python\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line
258, in _ApplyTypes_
#     result = self._oleobj_.InvokeTypes(*(dispid, LCID, wFlags, retType,
argTypes) + args)
# 2028 - pywintypes.com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0,
None, u'Invalid argument specified.', None, 0, -2147418113), None)

It's very odd and seems to be a problem with the way Dispatch is working
but I'm too much of a newb to say for sure...Are these just false trails
and not the actual errors that are occuring?  If I run
Application.Workgroups in the script editor before ever running this code
it will error out at the second error I posted above.  Am I missing some
sort of initialization procedure that has to happen before I can run code
in an outside python module?

Any help is much appreciated!

Best,

--