Matt your awesome,
 Thanks for all of the information, I am checking everything on the list
now.

I've just discovered that if i load a model in using the import menu, or
via scripting it takes 7 seconds, but if i drag and drop it in, it takes 46
seconds for some reason.

Not a big deal that one though.

It seems the real heavy toll is taken when we switch model resolutions.

Importing a vanilla referenced model takes about 7 seconds with no delta
changes.

Switching that same referenced model to another resolution, with no
significant entries in the model delta, takes about 45 seconds.

The resolutions that im switching to and from are both animation rigs, very
light,  and the delta has basically nothing in it

Anyway I'll play around with it. And test against all of your suggestions.
Thanks alot :)

-E