I think a united Softimage community could be kingmaker. I nominate Fabric
Engine as King.

Here's some facts as I see them: Some of us will continue to use Softimage
for the next few years, others of us will unhappily be forced to use Maya.
The realities of production, studios, and freelancers will dictate this.

Softimage gave us ICE. ICE has made us smart, because ICE is a ladder. ICE
is a magical place where the slightest bit of linear algebra is immediately
useful. If you can add two vectors together you can make useful things in
ICE. And if you learn a little more, it's a little more useful. And in so
doing, ICE has elevated many us from people who use 3D applications to
people who create our own tools in 3D applications. Our community is not
totally unique in this matter, but I think our community is remarkable in
its knowledge of the core math of CG. That combined with our formidable
production experience, self-sufficiency, and early-adopter fearlessness is
unique. It makes us mighty.

I think Fabric engine is the way out. That's because Fabric Engine is also
a ladder. For the moment, nothing changes. We may continue to use
Softimage, or we may be forced to use Maya, depending on each of our
circumstance, but the important thing is getting behind Fabric and trying
to get as many of our tools as possible into it. There's no giant painful
leap that's needed, we can start small without breaking existing workflows.
As a bonus, if we open up our tools as much as possible, this will go
exponentially faster. Softimage will remain frozen in time and Maya will
continue to crumble under the weight of its terrible design, and all the
while Fabric Engine will be eating.

Here's how I see this playing out.

   1. First Fabric Engine replaces what we used to do in ICE. There's a lot
   of work to do to make this a reality, but this one seems like a no-brainer
   to me.
   2. The next lowest hanging fruit is rigging. Fabric Engine creations eat
   the deformers used in rigging, and then become the rigs themselves.
   3. Once the native rigging in these programs is eaten, Fabric Engine
   also eats animation as a natural progression. The animators must go where
   the rigs are, and will be happiest where the rigs play back the fastest.
   4. Lighting and rendering is a tough one, but it won't take very much to
   be better than Maya here. Being competent at scene assembly and having a
   pass system that isn't obviously terrible is enough.
   5. We unceremoniously kick the desiccated husk of Maya into a storm
   drain.

Honestly if we do nothing, I think this might happen anyway. But I think
together can make it go much faster.

   1. Embrace open source and put as many of our tools as we can out there.
   2. Keep making stuff- this is natural for us, as we have, after all, all
   become toolmakers.

No giant painful leap is needed. We liberate ourselves, and empower
developers who have passion and care about the right things.

This is the only road I see that leads somewhere that I actually want to
be.

-Jonah