If you're a Softimage user, and plan to stick to it, which in many cases is
a perfectly viable strategy, go for it. Tag along.
However, if you're a TD and your livelyhood depends on hired work, I very
strongly recommend you amend mistakes you might have made in not
diversifying before, and start working on something that has a chance to
net you work past the next few months.

It's easy for people who benefit from TDs' work to push for a "keep Soft
alive" movement, but to those whose livelihood depends on providing others
with tools and support, I suggest they don't make the mistake of letting
their emotions have the best of them leading them to beating a dead horse
until inevitable unemployment. If you want to flip the finger at Autodesk
in the process take your skills to Fabric, or Houdini, and requalify
yourself. It doesn't take that long for a proper TD to learn a new
platform, days to weeks at most with proper drive and dedication.
If you want to reduce risk and face a ripe, if a bit overcrowded, market
right away, take your efforts to Maya.

But for the sake of people's livelihood, don't waste your time developing
free tools for deadware when you could be making an indirect, or even
direct, profit out of that time. If you want to spend time catering to
something dead learn Sanskrit.