Autodesk announces Maya LT as "Game Development", but I they mean low-cost
portable / mobile phone / unity based games.

iPhone is the smartphone leader so you can't ignore it. Maya is the only of
the 3 big that has an Apple version so it was the natural option to choose
to have a little brother to play with unity, even if the Maya Masterplan to
make it rule the world didn't existed (but it did).

Maya is probably the most used application in the game industry. So the
idea that Maya = Film/VFX and Max  = games isn't very accurate.

Martin