So this guys says what maurice posted here about the acquisition is
all "bold face lies".  It's true that in corporations, usually there
is a this cycle of buy/layoff, I've seen it.

But that is not at all what's been going on in Montreal with
Softimage. and we sure as heck shouldn't be looking to someone in S-F
to inform us.

It's a small community here in Montreal of developers.
Sottimage/Discreet/Kaydara/Max, it's all blending in.  The guy that
wrote IK in Softimage|3d and got an oscar for it? Worked on max for
the last decade, with with the guys that wrote the XSI command panels
and led the sumatra UI team.

So Marc Petit, who of course we had known for more than a decade, came
in and hired all the developers on Softimage that might have been
acquired and layed off by some foreign company, we don't know, and
kept the jobs in Montreal.  Although lots of people out there are
pushing the narrative that "everyone left", the vast majority,
probably more than three quarters, not counting all the dozens of
people who had come to Autodesk on their own before the acquisition,
are still here and working at Autodesk. That's just the facts.  We
have also hired new people on top of this.

Now of course, somebody he is going to tell me, wow I know all of
these people who have left.  To which I say,  10 to 18 years doing the
same thing? How long are you supposed to stay, exactly? People move
around all the time, the rate of attrition at Softimage and Autodesk
M&E are much lower than the industry, IMHO.  But they are not zero