The trouble with characters is the crease values will be adjusted over
various parts of the mesh - certainly when we dealt with them. Nuts and
bolts would at least have predictable values. I think when we were looking
at stuff we generated arrays of edge crease values or something - I
certainly remember playing with it, not sure if that got used.

Obviously, a feature is a better than no feature - you can always choose to
ignore it if it doesn't fit your pipeline. Something like OpenSubDiv might
be the answer as long as it's present in everywhere so deformation and UV's
are handled the same in each application.