I did start out with the simple toon rig and, don't get me wrong, it's a
decent rig (which i learned a lot about houdini through)
but it also avoids all the issues with a quality character rig by just
not implementing any features that even the most basic of shots
would require.

squash and stretch, hose limbs, intersection tests (self and prop),
simple face shapes etc all pretty much require a skinned mesh
and, coming from an xsi workflow, it's a huge step backwards to have to
playblast everything on such a simple character

I'm probably sounding overly negative but it's quite frustrating to be
let loose with tools that are about as creative and open
as anything i've ever had the pleasure to break only to be stymied by
issues that shouldn't be there.

it almost feels like it's bugged but it seems to be the same on prod
build as it is on daily

iv'e not touched the auto-rig btw (other than an initial poke around)

contrary to the tone of my post, i'm actually really enjoying my time in
houdini :)

--
  Jon Swindells
  jon_swinde...@fastmail.fm