This is quite true. Depending on what you actually intend to achieve, it may
affect your decision.
Even though I lean a lot more towards the technical side of things, I needed a
software package that would be able to do pretty much everything. I jumped on
Modo several months ago, and I've been quite comfortable with it. I've actually
started duplicating in Modo some ICE compounds and nodes I used often. I think
I'm pretty much set with Modo at this point. I also do some stuff in Houdini,
and will eventually get into Blender and see what I can do with it. Looks like
this would be the solution for me. I do expect tighter integration between Modo
and the rest of The Foundry's portfolio to make things nicer in the future.

I've also heard great things about C4D. I guess downloading the demos for all
the apps that interest you and doing some tutorials will give you a better idea
of how they "feel". After all, you've still got two years to figure out where
to go. Good luck!

Sergio Muciño.
Sent from my iPad.